Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
When you return home after a long day at work the last thing you want to see is water damage from a broken pipe causing water to leak everywhere in your home. A water loss can leave damages to your floors, walls and ceilings. The first thing you want to do is ensure your property is safe for you to enter. Potential electrical hazards and slip and fall situations could also be a concern from the water loss. You need the professionals when dealing with a water leak. SERVPRO of Hyde Park/Central Austin is here to help! Give us a call day or night and we can arrive immediately to begin the drying process.
You can follow the water damage tips below while you are are waiting for SERVPRO to arrive.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (512) 318-2200
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.